Friday, November 30, 2007

Reasonable eco tips?

I signed up for The Daily Green's newsletter but wonder how realistic it is. For instance, today's One Easy Thing tip is

On the highway, try not to exceed a speed of 55 miles per hour. Not only are you less likely to get into an accident, but the faster you drive, the more fuel your vehicle consumes per mile. That means more money and more greenhouse gases.
I'm guessing the newsletter's writers and/or editors do not live in Southern California. If they always tried to drive 55 mph on the 405 freeway, they'd likely be tail-gated or inadvertently rear-ended.

No one drives 55 here without creating a safety hazard. Sometimes I drive 75 while in the far-right lane just to keep up with the flow of traffic and not become a safety hazard.

I know that driving at a slower speed uses less gas. My car's miles per gallon increases if I stick to 70 mph rather than moving into left lanes and driving 75 or 80.

Back to my larger question: How often do environmental or conservation tips come across as warm and fuzzy pipe dreams? How many tips have you encountered that you consider unrealistic?

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Sheryl Crowe's one square per wipe campaign. I can't get behind that.
Speed Kills, man.

November 30, 2007 3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home