Monday, November 26, 2007

Indoor birding

Over the Thanksgiving holiday, I spent time at my brother and sister-in-law's home in Bend, Ore. The whole famn damily -- even my sister who lives in Berlin, Germany -- convened on the house.

I hadn't met one fellow, Steve. He kinda kept to himself and didn't say much that first day. I did notice him often looking through the dining room's glass sliding doors. Intrigued, I followed his gaze. Steve had his eye on the homemade feeder filled with seed.


Yep, those are wrenches adorning the top and sides of the wok. Welded wrenches also provide the perches for the avian guests. (My brother has a soft spot for wrenches.)

I joined Steve in the dining room, keeping an eye on the feeder. We saw lots of Mountain Chickadees and House Finches. A few Stellar's Jays stopped by. A Blue Jay raised quite a ruckus from a branch over the feeder. A couple Northern Flickers stopped by the feeding area. I saw one Mourning Dove and one American Robin.

Steve kinda warmed up to me as we gazed out the sliding door together. His enthusiasm for the birds was contagious. Other family members glanced at the feeder regularly and asked me the birds' names. Those relatives didn't have the same level of interest as Steve, though. He's got a good birding future ahead of 'im.


Both Steve and Pancetta, the other feline resident, are indoor-only cats. Cats Indoors!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

I loved this story! Had me fooled all the way! Great writing.
Cindy

November 27, 2007 8:57 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Thank you, Cindy (c:

November 28, 2007 8:50 AM  
Blogger Susan Gets Native said...

You goofy thing.
Funny!

November 28, 2007 8:08 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I'll gladly wave that "goof" flag.

November 29, 2007 8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home