Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Kitty, meet Hawk

During this morning's dorkwalk, I heard a cat's collar-bell jingle as it leapt into the tall tree in the house's front yard along Broadway. The furry predator obviously knew how to maneuver amid those branches.

A hawk then flew into the branches. Sharp-shinned or Cooper's? I couldn't tell; its head wasn't visible amid the leaves.

The cat's focus latched onto the hawk's position. The four-legged creature began looking at the nearby branches and figuring out how to get to the raptor. It nimbly hopped a couple times before the hawk flew to a farther branch.

I began wondering, "Should I do something here? I sincerely doubt the cat will get to the hawk... but if it gets really close, I'll try to distract the cat." Honestly, how arrogant is that to think that I could protect a bird of prey, that it would need my assistance?

The dance between the cat and hawk lasted maybe two minutes. The pet never got within seven feet of the bird, which abruptly left the tree.

Now I'm wondering about leaving an ABC Cats Indoors flyer on the house's mailbox. What do you think?

2 Comments:

Blogger Susan Gets Native said...

There are folks in our neighborhood who let their cats run free, and I have a plan...When I catch one, I will attach a little note to its collar telling its owners the statistics of bird fatalities by domestic cats and why they need to keep their cats inside.
Won't the owners LOVE that?
Hee hee....

July 25, 2006 7:58 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Ooohh, I like that... but wonder if the cats will remove the note before the owners see it. Hmmm... how to secure it without traumatizing the kitty?

July 26, 2006 8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home