Thursday, August 24, 2006

What's with the silence?

Honestly, I'm perplexed by the lack of feedback to an article in the September/October issue called "Leaders of the Flock." In it, Kevin Karlson named 18 folks whom he considers current and future leaders in the birding community, and the article asked for letters about other regional and national leaders.

My electronic inbox hasn't included any e-mails on the topic, nor has the snail-mail inbox. BirdChick even commented on some points and solicited feedback, but no one replied on her blog.

Why the silence? I can't imagine that there are not more birders who're equally accomplished and deserving of recognition. I can't fathom that everyone agrees with Karlson's choices. I can't see why BirdChick's usually vociferous readers would hush up when she posed interesting questions.

Is the silence due to an actual dearth of suitable candidates... or to birder apathy?

4 Comments:

Blogger Susan Gets Native said...

My excuse is that I have been birding for only 3 years, and I don't know of any up and coming big shots. I did like the article, though.

August 24, 2006 7:09 PM  
Blogger birdchick said...

Well, perhaps this means that no one else knows more female up and comers. I guess the mission now is to find them and out them.

August 25, 2006 3:24 PM  
Blogger Jeff Gyr said...

On the subject of up and coming female leaders in birding:

One obvious candidate is Jen Brumfield. This blog had a good post on her back in June:

http://wildbirdonthefly.blogspot.com/2006/02/brumfields-birds-in-new-book.html

It also seems the birding blogosphere is more gender-balanced than the cutting edge of field identification...I think some of the young women there are likely to emerge as leaders. And at least one already has: good ol' Birdchick herself.

August 30, 2006 5:14 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

In addition to chicks, I wonder if birders will "out" those who aren't white bread, as most of us appear to be. Birdchick raised that point in her post.

August 30, 2006 9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home