Thursday, December 14, 2006

Reporter's response about RTHA video clip

The WHDH reporter who created the news segment about the 11-year-old boy who defended his Dachshund puppy by stepping on and kicking a Red-tailed Hawk responded to my e-mail.

Dear Amy,

Thanks for your e-mail. In the time constraints of a TV story there are always points that have to be left behind. I will keep your points in mind in the future.
By the way, in this case, the enviornmental officer did mention to me that the hawk was of a protected species. However, he found the boy well within the law to do what he did and praised the boy for his actions.

Thank You again,

Dan Hausle

4 Comments:

Blogger tai haku said...

Well at least he took the time to respond in a courteous manner.

December 14, 2006 7:19 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

True, I'll give him credit for that.

December 14, 2006 7:23 PM  
Blogger Corby said...

Thank you for doing that, I felt the same way when I saw the video. According to some wildlife rehabilitators I know, hawks only do this when they are severely emaciated and close enough to starving that they take a big risk to eat despite the presence of people. One rehabilitator mentioned that they received a hawk under similar circumstances and it died soon after from starvation despite their efforts. One can only wonder how the bird is doing after it was kicked and stepped on. I am surprised by the obvious ignorance of the wildlife officer.

I love your blog by the way.

December 15, 2006 1:33 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Corby, perhaps the reporter would benefit from reading the rehabilitators' perspectives.

December 15, 2006 2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home