Thursday, February 21, 2008

Quiet NOMO

Despite the cloud cover this morning, the rain took a break. Yesterday's precipitation and the predictions for more in the next few days are great for this dressed-up desert, so I don't begrudge the falling water.

The American Crows in the neighborhood quickly became obvious at the beginning of my morning walk. Such loud birds! Other species added their voices to the brisk air: Black Phoebes, Bushtits, hummingbirds, Cassin's Kingbirds, Mourning Doves.

What stopped me in my tracks was a Northern Mockingbird perched on a telephone wire. It was silent -- not a peep. I peered at it from various angles and still didn't hear a sound from the NOMO... which surprised me.

That species seems to always loudly proclaim its presence, so this bird's silence kinda threw me. It also reminded me that birding continually reveals surprises.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mary C said...

Hi Amy - any chance that NOMO was listening to the chorus of the other birds? And learning how to "mock" their songs in the near future? I agree, that is odd not hearing a mockingbird do his thing. Maybe there were no females to impress. ;o)

February 23, 2008 1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home