Friday, October 17, 2008

SkyWatch Friday

Oct. 14 along Newport Beach's Back Bay Drive after dawn

The week began with a mid-day outing in the company of Mike Bergin. The creator of 10,000 Birds and I noshed, gabbed and tried to find birds amid the Santa Ana winds at Upper Newport Bay Nature Preserve.

Tuesday morning, I collected Mike as the sky began to lighten. After a cursory stop at Back Bay Science Center, we inched along the one-way Back Bay Drive until we reached a parking lot with a boardwalk and displays.



Are those Long-billed Curlews among the Marbled Godwits and Willets?


Yes, those are Long-billed Curlews and worthy of some shots,
as were the eight Black Skimmers that appeared later.


Mountains to Sea Trail, Back Bay Loop.


Song Sparrows appeared everywhere.
One found its reflection in my car's passenger mirror rather irritating...


and it left souvenirs of its extended time with my car.
Perhaps I'll cover the mirrors next time.


For more, sky-focused images, check out SkyWatch Friday!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Sweet, Amy! It was, as ever, great fun to get together with you. I'm finally getting around to posting about the trip but you'll have to wait until the end of the week to find out if I ever snagged a California Gnatcatcher.

October 19, 2008 7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home