Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Presidents' Day sunset

The holiday weekend brought the 2004 Birder of the Year, Jody Hildreth, and his wife, Kelly, to Southern California. We met last February when we converged in the lower Rio Grande Valley for four days of intense birding that added a few lifers to Jody's list. (You can read about that trip in the May/June 2005 issue.)

This visit is their first to California, and they began with the Salton Sea, of course. Then their itinerary took them to San Diego, where I joined them for dinner on Monday.

(Those are the Santa Catalina Islands.)

On the drive from Orange County to La Jolla, I pulled into a "view point" off the 5 South. Many cars filled the parking lot along the bluff, and a silent group of admirers watched the sun's descent. I enjoyed sharing the images with Kelly, who'll be able to watch the sunset before returning to New York (brrrr).


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow what a dinner we had! We ate at Roppongi's. I probably would never had chosen this restaurant if Amy wasn't with us. It was a new experience for me since I have never had tapas before. I thought the Chinese Potstickers tasted just like Manatee. And the onion rings - well, I could have a made a meal just out of those. It was a fun experience - and the company was fantastic, although I wish Amy would stop bringing her rubby ducky into the restaurants. The waiters (which were all extremely cute from what I could ascertain from the surrounding women's glances) kept giving Amy odd looks as she allowed her rubber ducky to swim in a glass of sparkling water. She claims her duck likes the ways the bubbles ride up his undertail coverts! Whatever floats your boat!

February 25, 2006 1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home