Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Timeliness of sightings

Are you a chaser who loves to go out on a scavenger hunt for a recently reported, unusual bird? If not, do you simply like to read listservs that disseminate such reports, keeping track of what's going on where in your state or region?

I like to keep tabs on New Jersey because of regular events in Cape May. The listserv recently included a post that came across as a complaint about not being able to see an unusual bird because those who had seen it did not disseminate details quickly enough -- by a matter of minutes and hours.

One of the responses to Sunday's post came from an 18-year-old fellow. He wrote:

Sometimes I really have to scratch my head when I read some of the messages which appear on this listserv...

I as well would like to say thanks to those who report their sightings, update the hotlines, and alert us to the whereabouts of rare birds. When I started birding at age 11 (in 1999), NJ-Birds and the Cape May hotline were my only real good sources for current birding information. Not only was the information distributed in a timely manner, it was always extremely accurate, and directions, if needed, were always dead-on (my parents appreciated that far more than I did). The contributions of Laurie, Paul and various others greatly assisted me during the beginning of my birding career, just as they still do today, and we should be ever-so-grateful that we have such a great network of information here in NJ.

Yet obviously, SHBO should be raising money during next year's World Series of Birding so that they can purchase a system which will instantaneously send out e-mails, phone calls, faxes, telegraphs and Morse code to every birder in the state within two minutes of the sighting of a rarity at the hook. Mark me down for$1.50/bird.

I think he makes a valid point within his sarcastic humor. What do you think?

2 Comments:

Blogger tai haku said...

I always try to think of any good bird sighting as a privilege not a right. Seems to me those who complain about these things would do well to remember that fact and that birds exist for their own purposes not for some chap's list.

September 28, 2006 2:18 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Yes, it's easy to think of many things as rights rather than privileges. We'd do well to not take much for granted.

September 28, 2006 12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home