Friday, October 13, 2006

CBC etiquette?

On a listserv yesterday, a birder wrote about an upcoming Christmas Bird Count, including this bit: “Each party should have a screech owl tape for attracting birds. If you have one please bring it.”

Do you participate in the annual winter census, typically between mid-December and the first week of January? If so, is it standard operating procedure to lure birds with a tape during your count?

I've heard arguments for and against using screech-owl calls during counts and field trips. Your thoughts?

3 Comments:

Blogger Patrick B. said...

I don't use tapes myself, nor have I seen any NJ count people suggesting the use of them. I've been on plenty of birding trips where the leader does use tapes, especially with the well-known tour companies.

Personally, I'm not 100% against the use of calls if used outside of nesting season. I don't use it myself because I know some people are against it.

I know a lot of great NJ Audubon leaders who do imitations of Screech Owls to try to lure in songbirds. Is an imitation any better/worse than a tape?

October 13, 2006 6:53 PM  
Blogger Susan Gets Native said...

I am with Patrick. If it's not nesting season, what's the harm?
I guess some birders are so hard core that calls are considered cheating???

October 13, 2006 7:53 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Thanks, all, for the feedback!

October 16, 2006 10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home