Tuesday, May 13, 2008

World Series of Birding

Saturday, 5 a.m.: Birdchick (aka Sharon Stiteler) and I met up with Clay Taylor to begin a day of digiscoping in the World Series of Birding. Sharon and Clay provided the birding and photography skills of the Swarovski Digiscoping Hawks; I served as the chaffeur of their minivan.

5:30: We left our hotel, Avondale by the Sea, toward the first of many destinations -- where we found a closed gate across the entry. OK, so it was a tad early... but not by most birders' standards.

During the next 14 hours, we visited various spots. How many of them can you identify?

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

10

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger birdchick said...

Nice!

Thanks so much for including where we were, I have trouble remembering that!

Shaz

May 13, 2008 9:42 AM  
Blogger dguzman said...

Okay, I'll try my hand at naming the spots.
1. that little road between the beach and the big pond in front of the Hawkwatching station near the CM lighthouse.
2. I think that's the Nature Conservancy walking trail.
3. Uh--the beach right near the Hawkwatching station near the CM lighthouse?
4. No idea--the Beanery? (I don't remember a platform there)
5. I know this is wrong--near Higbee Beach?
6. no idea. Mount Rushmore camping grounds?
7. I'm gonna guess the Nature Conservancy again.
8. Higbee Beach road?
9. on the walking trails on the salt marshes near the CM Lighthouse
10. Cape May
I'll be surprised if I get more than three right!

May 13, 2008 10:54 AM  
Blogger Patrick B. said...

The first 3 look like The Meadows or whatever it's called now. 4th one is Higbee. Is Jake's Landing and Belleplain in there somewhere?

May 13, 2008 12:55 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Thanks for playing along, D and Patrick.

1. Cape May Point State Park, between the hawkwatch platform and the beach
2. The Meadows aka The Nature Conservancy's Cape May Migratory Bird Refuge
3. The Meadows
4. Higbee Beach Wildlife Management Area
5. Shell Bay Boulevard (exit 9, Garden State Parkway)
6. Tamerlane Campground, Walnut Lane
7. Heislerville
8. Jake's Landing
9. Beaver Swamp WMA
10. Reed's Beach

May 16, 2008 2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home