Wednesday, October 01, 2008

NY Times: birding at Point Pelee

Back from spying unfamiliar hawks while speeding along the German autobahn, I enjoyed reading this Sept. 26 article -- "Glimpses of Elusive Quarry: Warblers, Ducks and My Dad" -- in the New York Times. The author, not a birder, learns about birding's appeal during a day's outing with her father:

My father walked nimbly along the path, pointing his binoculars skyward. “Look,” he said to me, “there’s a Blackburnian warbler.” For a second, as I focused my binoculars, I caught the warbler’s distinctive orange-and-white plumage. I looked again, and it was gone. Birding, I was realizing, is an ephemeral pleasure: beauty suddenly appears and then just as suddenly vanishes, leaving you with a longing to see it again. I suspect that no matter how many birds you see, how many species you check off your list, this longing never goes away.
No doubt more than few folks can concur.


View Larger Map

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home