Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Autumn Weekend: Eatin', meetin' and paintin'

Can a nonJOYzee resident identify this eatery?


BirdChick and I ate there a couple times. On our second visit, she sampled the pumpkin specialty and gave it a thumbs-up. The tasty meal didn't distract her, however, from her morning blog post.



While standing at my booth in The Bird Show at the Cape May Convention Hall, I got to meet Patrick from The Hawk Owl's Nest. Look at his awesome smile! I really enjoyed chatting with him.


I really enjoyed meeting Laura from Somewhere in NJ, too, but lamely failed to take a picture. Everyone gets an occasional brain cramp, right?

Luckily, my brain was engaged when BirdChick hopped into the face painters' chair. Janene and Terry of Festive Faces returned for the second year, and a handful of us quickly asked for their services. The two painters took requests and worked from field guides, as Janene did for BirdChick.


Raptor expert Bill Clark happened to be nearby when BirdChick flew out of the chair.


While sitting at a booth to promote his incredible Migration Mainline work, artist Charley Harper even got into the face painting. He adorned Marleen Murgitroyde's cheeks with his trademark ladybugs and then added his name.


Marleen was thrilled to serve as Charley's first living canvas.

9 Comments:

Blogger Patrick B. said...

The corncakes there are really good too... but I won't utter the name of the place since I'm from NJ.

It was great meeting you! It looks like you got to visit all the great Cape May hotspots. I wish the weather had held out better for you all.

The eyelids on Birdchick really freaked me out.

October 31, 2006 7:12 PM  
Blogger LauraHinNJ said...

I know the answer too! I prefer the potato variety, personally and missed seeing the skimmers that often hang on the beach opposite.

You know, I totally missed the Harper display! Guess I had my back to it while chatting with you.

Glad to have met you, Amy!

October 31, 2006 8:34 PM  
Blogger Susan Gets Native said...

I heart Charley Harper!
He designed the logo for our raptor rescue organization, and I have told everyone I know that I want Charley Harper books for Christmas. What a neat guy.
The restaurant...let's see...
Mike and Myrtle's Pancake Hut?
Oh, I just noticed the rubber ducky!

October 31, 2006 8:38 PM  
Blogger brdpics said...

Looks like Uncle Bill's Pancake House. I fuelled up on the buckwheat pancakes last May while scouting for the WSB. Wish I could have been there for the fall festivities- maybe next year!

November 01, 2006 12:53 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Patrick: Thanks again for stopping by the booth. I tried the corncakes during a previous visit, but my sweet tooth hearts the choc/PB version most.

Laura: Muchas gracias for chatting with me! I really like potato variety, too; they taste delish with the applesauce.

Susan: Charley is such a nice fellow. Did you meet him?

Bill: Yep, it's Uncle Bill's. I hope to see you next May, if not sooner!

November 01, 2006 2:12 PM  
Blogger birdchick said...

I want some of those pumpkin pancakes right now!

November 02, 2006 9:58 AM  
Blogger Patrick B. said...

Next year it'll be a tough choice between chocolate/PB and pumpkin.

November 03, 2006 4:00 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I dunno that it's an either/or situation, Patrick. Uncle Bill's is open for two meals a day (c:

November 03, 2006 4:12 PM  
Blogger Julie Zickefoose said...

Heavens to Mergatroyd, Marleen! DOn't wash those cheeks!
Charley Harper is a consummate gentleman and a delight to know. Enjoy your cheek art.

November 10, 2006 12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home