Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Washed-off world

The rain fell last night while I was snug in flannel sheets. It felt delightful to wake up to a washed-off world.

Clouds still decorated the sky as it became lighter. Soft bird calls reached me as I stood in the open patio door. An excellent morning for a dorkwalk.

With a warm, purple, fleece pullover, a ballcap and knit gloves, I set out at a brisk pace through the neighborhood. Around the first corner, my feet came to an abrupt halt as my ears registered a hummingbird overhead. Despite a systematic search of the tree's bare branches, I couldn't spy the little bird. Good work, Houdini.

The pink fluffy clouds behind and before me looked gorgeous. The 40-something-degree air temperature kept me moving briskly. I slowed only when a friendly dog named Bear decided to keep pace with me rather than her owner.

Gulls flew north, Cassin's Kingbirds called "chewboo" from the trees, and more hummingbirds sawed and chittered between and above the houses along my route. A Black Phoebe flew from fence post to mailbox to fence post as Bear "swept" the bird forward.

Ah yes, a delicious way to start the day.

4 Comments:

Blogger LauraHinNJ said...

Sounds lovely... and warm!

January 24, 2008 8:09 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

It *was* lovely (c:

January 25, 2008 9:18 AM  
Blogger dguzman said...

I second what Laura said--sounds great! I'd love to start my day with a "dorkwalk" with you!

February 01, 2008 8:45 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Thanks, Delia. Right backatcha.

February 01, 2008 11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home