Monday, December 31, 2007

Top 10 nature moments of 2007

Tai Haku of Earth, Wind & Water started a lovely meme: top 10 nature moments of the year. He also posted photos of his moments.

My favorite incidents (not in any particular order):
1. Watching gulls, Black Skimmers and California Least Terns at Bolsa Chica State Beach while "reserving" a fire ring at 6:30 a.m.

2. Taking a digibinned photo of a Barred Owl during the Space Coast Birding & Wildlife Festival in Florida


3. Kayaking during the San Diego Bird Festival

4. Hearing Black Phoebes, Bushtits, Anna's Hummingbirds, American Crows and Cassin's Kingbirds during my neighborhood walks

5. Seeing a huge dragonfly inside a shade structure in Nevada's Black Rock Desert. Where did it find sustenance??

6. Exploring Chicot State Park in Louisiana during the American Birding Association convention. Fabulous spot!


7. Visiting Cape May, N.J., again. It's got nature and more.

8. Perusing Chicago Botanic Garden in early June


9. Feeling Mike Bergin punch my arm after I pointed out a Long-billed Curlew at the Bolsa Chica wetlands

10. Watching the sun rise while at the Cape May hawkwatch platform and helping Clay Taylor get his desired digiscoping shots

OK, I'm going to cheat and add one.
11. Absorbing the delicious beauty that is Green Jays at Laguna Atascosa NWR in south Texas and seeing a baby javelina

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger tai haku said...

Thanks for the awesome list Amy, love the Hosta photo and can quite understand the need to cheat and include the baby Javelina!

Where the meme seems to be failing somewhat is in my failure to provide for tagging/passing it on so if you're reading and want to play please do!

December 31, 2007 9:17 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

That trip to Bolsa Chica (and punching you in the arm) was one of my top 10 nature moments of the year too, Amy!

December 31, 2007 10:05 AM  
Blogger Patrick B. said...

At least he didn't punch you in the face like he did to me when we saw Bicknell's Thrush.

Ok, I made that up...

Happy New Year Amy!

December 31, 2007 11:47 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Tai Haku: Thanks for understanding the need to skirt the rules (c:

Mike: Looking forward to what we can find in early March!

Patrick: Happy happy! And next time, I'll punch back ;)

January 02, 2008 9:39 AM  
Blogger dguzman said...

Cool moments! I once saw a mama javelina and three little babies following her when I was stopped at the border patrol check station between Kingsville and Raymondville, TX (I went to college at TX A&I in Kingsville). I was just glad I was far away--they're mean, and they STINK!

January 04, 2008 12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home