Friday, November 14, 2008

Birders in the News

I like tracking the newspaper articles or online news stories that mention birders. The short announcements of an upcoming bird walk or presentation, printed in a small community paper, are nice, but the articles about larger events in mainstream news sources give me hope.

The more often that larger outlets mention birders, the better. With more of a presence in this nation, maybe birders and birding will seem like less of a quirky subculture (or not).

This week's roundup of Birders in the News:
Fairbanks, Alaska: Nancy Gigliotti, Susan Sharbaugh, Judy Williams, John Wright

Loveland, Colo.: David Bonter, Connie Kogler (a Birder of the Year candidate! Details in the right-hand sidebar), Deana Walker

Dublin, Ga.: James Tomberlin, Marshall and Laurie Jackson

Jekyll Island, Ga.: Gary Smith, Lydia Stone

Which birders did you see in the news this week?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Rick Wright said...

I use google 'news alerts' to keep up with birding friends around the world--every day I get a notice telling me who's in the news and for what (amazing how often I end up reading the police blotters).
For a while I was monitoring myself that way, too, in a supreme specimen of narcissism, but quickly grew tired of reading about my demise as a founding member of Pink Floyd.

November 15, 2008 6:34 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I'm sorry to hear of your demise, Rick ;^)

Yep, I've used Google's alerts for years. They can lead to nice blog fodder.

November 15, 2008 9:05 AM  
Blogger Chris W said...

A friend of mine found this one a few days ago:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5glDRcBD_TxX6NgWsitfbxNbDV0DQD94GIER80

Interesting article if you haven't read it yet.

November 21, 2008 9:20 PM  
Blogger Connie said...

This was fun too: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/27/garden/27GARDEN.html?_r=1

Oh, and I love your tips on submitting writing and photos. I learned much from reading them.

PS: I can hardly wait for December.

I have you linked on my blog and if you find it worthy would love a link back.
Connie

http://birdsothemorning.blogspot.com/

November 29, 2008 7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home