Friday, February 12, 2010

Count me in the corvid camp

For years, corvids -- usually American Crows -- have held my attention. I've heard the complaints about how noisy they are (Yes, Mom, they are rather loud.) but prefer not to focus on their volume. Instead, I admire their intelligence and dapper appearance.

When I learned in 2002 about Betty (above), the New Caledonian Crow at Oxford University, and her ability to make tools -- not just use tools but make them (video) -- I felt thrilled. While driving through the desert to and from Las Vegas, I might get distracted by the huge, shaggy Common Ravens.

Luckily, a murder of crows likes to hang out next to the office. While at my desk, I can look through the window and watch their antics. Let's call it an effort to reduce eye strain by not looking at the computer monitor for a couple minutes.

Even though it's early February, I'm thinking about what the crows will be up to in the next couple months -- and Cornell Lab of Ornithology offers a great primer called "Watching your neighborhood crows."



Blogger Clare said...

I'm firmly rooted in the Corvid camp. Smart, dapper, and they like to play. What's not to like?

February 12, 2010 12:18 PM  
Blogger Liza Lee Miller said...

I'm with Clare. Corvids are my favorite birds . . . and Ravens are the best of the best! :D

February 12, 2010 9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home