Tuesday, November 14, 2006

RGV: Green Jays galore

Unlike my roommate in Texas, I didn't hold a Green Jay in my hand. Sigh. I did see enough of the colorful critters to temporarily satisfy my jones for their brilliant hues, the first sightings being at Laguna Atascosa.

I also spied artistic depictions of the jays in a couple spots. The auditorium, for instance, includes a space for children called Kiskadee Korner. Kudos to the festival organizers for not overlooking youngsters, who represent the future of birding!


Beside the Kiskadee Korner entrance, two screens featured artwork by local students. A sixth-grader at Coakley Middle School in Harlingen drew this piece


while a student in the 9-10th grade division at Rio Grande Valley Arts Studio in Harlingen created this piece.


At Quinta Mazatlan, a World Birding Center in McAllen, I found this art sitting on the table that offered pan dulce to festival participants. Mmmm.


Pretty amazing colors, eh? And pretty amazing that Valley residents consider Green Jays "trash birds"!

3 Comments:

Blogger birdchick said...

I missed the green jay sculpture!

November 15, 2006 8:30 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

That's one of the cool things about multiple bloggers at an event; we can share different aspects (c:

November 15, 2006 10:04 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Jody, I don't know if they're puppets. To the best of my knowledge, they're stationary sculptures.

November 15, 2006 5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home