Tuesday, January 29, 2008

How not to curry an editor's favor

If you're interested in contributing photographs to a publication, you're probably not going to receive a response if you send an e-mail like this:

Dear Editor,

I possible, could I be sent a photo submissions list for this years magazines?

Thanks,
[name withheld]



1. If you want to establish a working relationship with an editor, include that individual's name in the e-mail.
2. If you want to make a good first impression, use correct spelling, grammar and punctuation in the e-mail.
3. If you want to submit photographs to a publication, provide proof that your work is worthy of and appropriate for consideration by providing a URL, a list of publications that used your images and/or a list of training and awards.

Then again, how would you react to such an e-mail if you worked as a magazine editor? I'm curious.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Susan Gets Native said...

If I were an editor? I would write back:
"Hukt on fonix wurkt fur me!"

January 31, 2008 11:15 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

LOL! I wish. Thanks for the belly laugh, Susan.

January 31, 2008 12:37 PM  
Blogger dguzman said...

Susan, you kill me.

Amy--probably I would've just ignored the email until the sender figured out how to properly ask for the desired materials--on the premise that a legitimate inquiry would've been done by mail and/or with the proper info, etc.

February 01, 2008 8:22 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

E-mail's a legitimate way to inquire. I prefer e-mail.

It's the lack of professionalism that's the problem. Why would I establish a business relationship with someone who operates that way?

February 01, 2008 11:37 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

You are such a stickler :) I have found important emails need to be throughly reviewed prior to sending.

February 04, 2008 6:44 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Ah yes, but I'm paid to be a stickler during business hours!

February 06, 2008 12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home