Wednesday, January 23, 2008

"Last Child in the Woods" author to receive Audubon Medal

The author of "Last Child in the Woods," Richard Louv, will receive the Audubon Medal -- recognizing "individual achievement in the field of conservation and environmental protection" -- on Saturday, Jan. 26, from National Audubon Society. At the Richardson Bay Audubon Center & Sanctuary in Tiburon, Calif., Louv will be honored for highlighting what he calls "nature-deficit disorder" -- the phenomenon created by a lack of interaction between today's youth and the natural world -- in his 2005 bestseller.

Click here for the 5-minute NPR interview with Louv on May 25, 2005.

Have you read "Last Child in the Woods"? If so, what did you think of it? If not, are you tempted to, and why?

6 Comments:

Blogger Patrick B. said...

This is on my list of things to read. I've heard great thing about it.

January 23, 2008 3:30 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

It's on my list, too, Patrick. Actually, it's on my bookcase; I bought a copy during the Rio Grande Valley Birding Festival in November.

January 23, 2008 3:38 PM  
Blogger Nervous Birds said...

I couldn't think of a better shift in education than taking the kids out of the classroom. I spend my days going from school to school for work and I'm always talking about the 'natural world' outside to the teachers I meet. I am trying to organize a local contest for 'school yard habitat' improvement where the kids try to better their school yard for native birds, plants, animals, etc.

I have the book... now I need to read it!

January 23, 2008 4:44 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Dan, are you participating in Dave Magpiong's "Schoolyard Birding Challenge"?

January 23, 2008 5:07 PM  
Blogger birdchaser said...

I got to spend a little time with Richard at the Aullwood Audubon Nature Center near Dayton, Ohio last year. Really interesting how his book has struck a chord with folks. Or at least the ideas have. I've only read about half of it, and skimmed the rest. The book itself is OK. The idea of Nature Deficit Disorder is brilliant.

January 24, 2008 7:11 PM  
Blogger LauraHinNJ said...

I read it and enjoyed it and would recommend it, yes!

January 24, 2008 8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home