Friday, October 21, 2005

Blue day

Driving south this afternoon on PCH (aka Pacific Coast Highway or Hwy. 1), I spied an unusual vertical addition to a lamp post. As the Bimmer approached the light, I could discern the Great Blue Heron perched high above the fresh asphalt and looking west toward the ocean and the gray horizon.

Apparently oblivious to the six lanes of cars below it, the heron stood very still and moved its head once, slightly. Perhaps it was tracking a rodent in the ice plant below and on the highway's shoulder.

When I worked at that state beach many moons ago, I didn't notice any herons or see many species other than gulls, House Sparrows and House Finches. Not that I want to pick up trash and clean bathrooms again, but I wonder how many species would catch my eye now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home